The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Friday, November 10, 2006

Falcipennis canadensis


"A man who has played much base-ball need never use a gun when after spruce grouse."
-Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter

They aren't fast or dangerous. They don't have sharp beaks or talons. When in danger, they don't release a pungent odor. All they have is camoflauge. Generation after generation knows that to sit still is to survive. I estimate that I walked by thirty of these birds that day, and only five moved.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wait, did you catch them, or just look at them? I like the quote.

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

They're dead. I killed them.

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

REEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Saturday, November 11, 2006 8:34:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Birds of a feather flock together!

I'm amazed TMF of all the creatures you have hunted or fished since you started your big adventure there in Alaska. I'd love to see a list.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 2:56:00 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Cleverly written... "and God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind and God saw that it was good." I think the little falcapenis (sp?) thought he was pretty good til you showed up! :)

Saturday, November 11, 2006 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

I have to admit, Annie, that I'm always pretty sad whenever Isaac brings a few of these home... They're such pretty birds.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 4:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home