The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Friday, January 19, 2007

Winter's Antidote


"The fisherman in his boat, far out beyond the headland,
Listens, and leisurely rows ashore..."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Bells of Lynn

I have shoveled enough snow. I have chopped enough wood. Spring breakup is still a long way off, but I want to be ready. Building this raft has thawed my brain. Planning the first float trip has warmed my imagination with fish migrations, river maps, flow charts, put ins, take outs, and portages.

Rapids will be shot.

Fish will be caught.

Forget the shoreline.

When the waters start to move again, I will be upon them.

7 Comments:

Blogger Belle Etoile said...

And what a great deal that thing was. Congratulations TMF!

Saturday, January 20, 2007 5:58:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a cool float. You really mean business (as if I didn't know that already)

Saturday, January 20, 2007 7:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

raft of solitude
loving her yet yearning to leave
that's my misery

Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:15:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

love the haiku, opax. fly fishing needs more poets.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

I agree, that was a great haiku.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 5:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.
Btw. Looks like winter has found its way here. -4f and snow... This is normal January weather here in middle Finland.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Now I get it--looks like a great float. Why is this mom such a worry wart? Boats, water, bears, waterfalls, danger.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home