The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Love and Metaphysics

The Bait
John Donne

Come live with me, and be my love,
And we will some new pleasures prove
Of golden sands, and crystal brooks,
With silken lines and silver hooks.


There will the river whisp'ring run
Warm'd by thy eyes, more than the sun ;
And there th' enamour'd fish will stay,
Begging themselves they may betray.


When thou wilt swim in that live bath,
Each fish, which every channel hath,
Will amorously to thee swim,
Gladder to catch thee, than thou him.


If thou, to be so seen, be'st loth,
By sun or moon, thou dark'nest both,
And if myself have leave to see,
I need not their light, having thee.


Let others freeze with angling reeds,
And cut their legs with shells and weeds,
Or treacherously poor fish beset,
With strangling snare, or windowy net.


Let coarse bold hands from slimy nest
The bedded fish in banks out-wrest ;
Or curious traitors, sleeve-silk flies*,
Bewitch poor fishes' wand'ring eyes.


For thee, thou need'st no such deceit,
For thou thyself art thine own bait :
That fish, that is not catch'd thereby,
Alas ! is wiser far than I.

Maybe I love Katie so much because she put me on the hook end of the line. Maybe I love fish because I know how they feel.

At water's edge I find my love for her swelling like a tide that never ebbs.

*Ed. Note: Emphasis added. Fly fishing described in a 17th century love poem. Not bad for a carpe diem Anglican minister in James I's court.

11 Comments:

Blogger Belle Etoile said...

I'm so glad I caught you. I'm even more glad you wanted me to.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 6:18:00 AM  
Blogger The Chindo said...

I'm caught too. Different Fisherwoman. Different hook. Deliciously different bait.

Same unending pull.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 7:12:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Beauty upon beauty.

Mom chased me till I caught her.

I'm hooked for life

Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:02:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

What a lovely poem and beautiful pictures. "Only love can be divided endlessly and still not diminish."

Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

And that last photo doesn't look like it could be real it is so perfect.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TMF is hard to beat. I did win tickets to Andrea Bocelli concert with vip-dinner. That is about the best I can do, yet this is far better.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

I'm sure Belle Etoile wouldn't mind a vip dinner and Andrea Bocelli.

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:22:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Neither would Auntibeck, as a matter of fact! Did you know there's a Bucceli CD I think called Amore? I heard about it on American IDol when he sang on it last season. I've been hunting for it ever since--never in the store--always an empty place--sold out! Enjoy!!!!!!! Keep the romance alive guys--you'll reap great reward!

Monday, November 13, 2006 9:51:00 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful words, even more so, is the beautiful commitment between you two.

Monday, November 13, 2006 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger Tallgirl said...

Cute pics

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful poem. Thank you for posting it on your blog for the rest of us to enjoy!
You ahve a lovely family

Sunday, November 19, 2006 11:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home