The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Monday, May 08, 2006

O. mykiss irideus psychosis


After a week of chasing these strong, smart, aggressive, big, beautiful fish, I only want more.

It rained until the river flooded and became unfishable, and I still fished. Steelhead are a fever. I was infected the moment this fish smacked my fly. Each strike was heart stopping; each lost fish was heart breaking. But missed chances are chances, and I allowed myself to freeze and face dangerous waters for more chances. Every fish brought to hand was hard fought and harder won.

I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but I am.

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

YES! Welcome back, Bolokai. Nice jacket!

Monday, May 08, 2006 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger The Chindo said...

Holy Joe Pesci!

Monday, May 08, 2006 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Thanks. Kept me dry in the worst squall I have ever experienced. The trip was an incredible gear tester. The Sage Launch in 7wt. is perfect for these fish. The Cabela's Guide waders never leaked or tore, even through devil's club, over and under deadfalls, and a torrentious flow that would have drowned a non angler. And thanks for my Filson hat, without which I would have been miserable.

Monday, May 08, 2006 9:43:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

You are now baptized into the waters of steel...and your thrill of the catch is born again!

Monday, May 08, 2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

That is one BIG fish!!! Congrats on that one and welcome home!!

Monday, May 08, 2006 1:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home