The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Need

"I can bring you salmon out of the streams..."
-W.B. Yeats, The Blessed

Quiet, current-powered, and powerful, the fish wheel scoops salmon out of the river and lets them fall into a live well. All I have to do is net the fish and fletch them for the freezer. Not a beautiful method, but grandly effective: a guarantee of meat for the winter.

The only similarity between the fly rod and the fish wheel is need. My mind wouldn't survive winter without the one; my body without the other. Then there is each moment's reminder that I couldn't possibly deserve this fisherman's life.

Usually we fish for fishing, but sometimes we fish for a living. Either way, we have no choice.

8 Comments:

Blogger auntibeck said...

I can see that now. Your drive, your prose, your life, is beautiful.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

Are you wearing short sleeves in the middle of winter in Alaska?

Sunday, February 04, 2007 7:03:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

it's midsummer. salmon run up the copper river from june through august. right now it's mostly frozen and no fish.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 7:10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So sad for TMF.....

Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger opax said...

In close history of my family there have so far been two truly devoted fishermen; my grandpa and me.

Our difference was that he lived in the post WWII years and fished with fishing nets for food (much needed) while I fished with a rod for reasons unknown (read tmf blog to find out). And, unlike him, I didn’t usully get much anything.

There is a single moment in my life that I remember my grandpa best, it was the moment when I had landed a big pike (with my fancy rod and expensive Swedish Ambassador reel) and my grandpa looked at me and finally said with certain respect in his voice “Well Olli, it looks like you are fisherman after all.”

Monday, February 05, 2007 3:25:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is really beautiful Opax. Thanks for sharing.

Monday, February 05, 2007 8:17:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

You guys are making it clear now, that you're either born to fish, or not. And the latter is better.

Monday, February 05, 2007 8:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving that perspective. I keep a fish or two here and there during the season, but never need to think of having to keep fish. Good on ya!

Randy

Monday, February 05, 2007 4:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home