The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Friday, March 17, 2006

My ktema es aei


"They do not use flies for bait, for if a man's hand touch them they lose their natural color, their wings wither, and they become unfit food for the fish. [Instead] they fasten crimson wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers that grow under a cock's wattles, and which in color are like wax."
-Aelianus, De Natura Animalium (ca. AD222) Describing a Macedonian method of catching fish.

Here's my first ever hand tied fly. The pattern is called a Dennis Rodman or a Jerry Garcia. I'll call mine a Haight-Ashbury. It's tintinnabulatious. Or cumulonimbustible. It also should catch me some steelhead.
Click here for comparison.


thank you heath

3 Comments:

Blogger auntibeck said...

unbelievable Isaac. you are so cool. Hey, how'd you get such a fabulous closeup? Did Heath have something to do with this?

Friday, March 17, 2006 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Heath gifted me temporarily with the equipment. I took the picture. I'm working on more flies, so check back soon.

Friday, March 17, 2006 8:15:00 PM  
Blogger The Chindo said...

"miraculous", he called it babe.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home