The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Monday, February 19, 2007

Ask Me

by William Stafford


Some time when the river is ice ask me
mistakes I have made. Ask me whether
what I have done is my life. Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.

I will listen to what you say.
You and I can turn and look
at the silent river and wait. We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings and goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.


I pulled Sophia in her sled to the frozen Lowe River today. She kept asking about the "wawa." I told her it was under the snow. Then we both got in the sled and rode down the bank and across the river. Twice.


12 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Stafford...Oregon's poet laureate, very nice.

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

i think your parents gave me his book when i moved to ak

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

Reminds me of last week when she requested that you get in the sled with her and I pull you two around...

I'm glad she's loving that sled so much, and that you're taking the time to encourage her.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 5:48:00 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

I am transported to your world...so amazing and beautiful. Thanks--your posts are worth the daily wait!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 5:59:00 AM  
Blogger opax said...

"But, though there lives within my breast such respect for, such love of truth, there is nothing I would rather learn than the why of the River's unknown headwaters, hidden for many eons."

- Lucan, Pharsalia. Translated by Jane Wilson Joyce

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:32:00 AM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

Beautiful picture, beautiful words....sounds too cold for me.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:06:00 AM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Opax- Thanks for the quote. It's perfect. Strongly reminds me of another book you may be familiar with lately. Have you read Pharsalia in Finnish?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

Yes, I agree TMF. I thought for sure it was a quote from River Why.

Beautiful choice Opax.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:23:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous. I love love love it.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the Ask Me that is perfect. Too perfect. Parking place perfect? Inexplicably perfect?

Pharsalia: no, I have only read two pages of it.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:26:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

i'm thinking of editing an anthology called poems i wish i wrote. ask me would be on the last page.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More than what we see here is the world to come...
KJ Mat 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth [it]; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
Keep the Faith. Aren't fish a heathan greek fertility symbol? LOL naaaw. Pretty cool blogs Jeff Vincelette www.e-sword.net www.crosswire.org www.raystedman.org
hmmm... let me see what this net brings in?

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home