The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

To Catch a Rainbow


"...all my clear-eyed fish,
Golden, or rainbow-sided, or purplish,
Vermilion-tail'd, or finn'd with silvery gauze...
My charming rod, my potent river spells..."
-John Keats, Endymion, Book II

I've tried to explain why I fish. The answer seems to change with every attempt. Could be the challenge, the peace, the oneness with Nature, the river, the art, the presentation, the story, the sounds, the strike, the dance, the rocks, the birds, the bugs, the bears, the dark shadows in foam, the sun, the rain, the fish, the pals, or the wait. It's always something.

Today, it's the stripe.

TMF credits as credit's due:
Fish caught, released, and cropped :
Maybe we'll do it again someday soon.
HTML genius and fellow madman:
With thanks and much respect.

4 Comments:

Blogger opax said...

Once, not long ago, I finally figured out Why I fish. Required really lot of thinking and reading and talking. I made a blog post about it, but I didn't tell what the answer was, only that I knew the answer.

I forgot it. Oblivion hit once again.

Well, I have to seek the answer again. Will be a pleasure. (And maybe even the answer.)

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Exactly.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger BCM said...

The "Stripe" is absolutely a reason to fish. Today for me, it was roar of the river, the smell of Spring, and the tug on the end of my line, and just being away from it all.

That's a beautiful fish, TMF.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

Hey BCM
Maybe I should move to Ontario where the water is open in March. I'm looking forward to the same senses.

And thanks for the fish camoflauge detail idea.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home