The Mad Fishicist

A fly rodding, sheep stalking, moose calling, guitar trying, bird watching, fly tying, Katie loving stay-at-home-dad.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

One Month From Today

As of today, the Situk River is accessible only by snow machine or snow shoe (thirteen miles is a long way on snow shoes). As of today, the biggest wild steelhead on the planet are stacking up and pairing up in every drift and pool they can find. One month from today, the record snows should have receded enough for me to hitch a ride to the river. Then I should be reminded what it feels like to have a bent fly rod in my hands. And what it feels like to kneel in water to admire, measure, and release the ultimate game.

I'm bringing snow shoes just in case.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to see pix of your first catch this year. Is the top picture you?

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 9:44:00 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

"You be careful now," said the mother to the son...!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger opax said...

Cold, Cold,
Frost, Frost,
Fling me not aside!
You have bent me enough.
Away! Away!


Aivilik Eskimo Chant

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

rj-i took the top pic, i'm in the bottom.

ab-i'll try

opax-i've been chanting for a month.

Thursday, April 05, 2007 7:17:00 AM  
Blogger Trotsky said...

Great photo's!
I'll be looking forward to your first fishy success this spring.
Old man winter has revisited us again and looks like it'll be snow for the next couple of weeks.
Glad I got out when I did.
Gene

Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home